Unit 9. I watched/ cleaned/ went etc. (Past Simple)
(простое прошедшее время)
The Past Simple is often -ed. For example:
|word - worked||clean - cleaned||start - started|
|stay - stayed||live - lived||dance - danced|
These verbs are regular verbs.
- I clean my teeth every morning. This morning I cleaned my teeth.
- Terry worked in a bank from 1981 to 1986.
- Yesterday it rained all morning. It stopped at launchtime.
- We enjoyed the party last night. We danced a lot and talked to a lot of people.
- The party finished at midnight.
See Spelling Appendix 4 (4.2 & 4.4):
|study - studied||marry - married|
|stop - stopped||plan - planned|
Some verbs are irregular (not regular). The Past Simple is not -ed. Here are some important irregular verbs (See also Appendix 1 & Appendix 2):
- I usually get up early but this morning I got up at 9.30.
- We did a lot of housework yesterday.
- Caroline went to the cinema three times last week.
- Mr Todd came into the room, took off this coat and sad down.
See Unit 10. I didn't… Did you …? (Past Simple negative and questions)