Unit 20. it is done/ it was done (passive)
The room is cleaned every day.
The room was cleaned yesterday.
Somebody cleans the room every day. (active)
The room is cleaned every day. (passive)
Somebody cleaned the room yesterday. (active)
The room was cleaned yesterday. (passive)
The Passive is:
The Past Participle of regular verbs is -ed (cleaned/ damaged etc.). For a list of irregular past participles (made/ seen etc.), see Appendix 1 List of irregular verbs and Appendix 2 Irregular verbs in groups.
|- Butter is made from milk.
- Oranges are imported into Britain.
- How often are these rooms cleaned?
- I am never invited to parties.
- This house was built 100 years ago.
- These houses were built 100 years ago.
- When was the telephone invented?
- I wasn't invited to the party last week.
- Six people were injured in the accident yesterday.
We say was/ were born:
- I was born in London in 1958. (not I am born)
- Where were you born?
passive + by …:
- We were woken up by the noise. (= The noise woke us up.)
- The telephone was invented by Alexander Bell in 1876.
- My brother was bitten by a dog last week. хостинг от Зенон Н.С.П. © Langust Agency 1999-today, ссылка на сайт обязательна