Unit 50. I went to the shop to buy …
|Ann didn't have any bread.
But she wanted some bread.
So she went to the shop.
Why did she go to the shop?
To buy some bread.
She went to the shop to buy some bread.
- to … (to do / to buy / to see etc.) tells us why a person does something (the purpose):
- George went to the station to meet his friend.
- She turned on the TV to watch the news.
- I'd like to go to Spain to learn Spanish.
money /time to (do something):- We need some money to buy food.
- I haven't got time to watch television.
- to … and for …:
for + noun: for some bread / for dinner / for a holiday etc.
- She went to the shop to buy some bread. (to + verb)
but She went to the shop for some bread. (for + noun)
- They are going to Scotland to see their grandmother. (not ‘for to see’)
but They are going to Scotland for a holiday.
- We need some money to buy food. (not ‘for buy’)
but We need some money for food.
- Are you waiting for the bus?
- Please wait for me.
wait for somebody/something to …:
- I can't go out yet. I'm waiting for John to phone.
- I was having dinner when they arrived. They waited for me to finish my meal.
See Unit 85. enough
See Unit 86. too хостинг от Зенон Н.С.П. © Langust Agency 1999-2017, ссылка на сайт обязательна