Unit 55. Whose is this? It’s mine.
- my/our/your/her/their + a noun (my hands/your book etc.):
- Is this your book?
- Ann gave me her umbrella.
- It's their problem, not our problem.
- mine/ours/yours/hers/theirs without a noun:
- I didn't have an umbrella, so Ann gave me hers. (= her umbrella)
- It's their problem, not ours. (= our problem)
- ‘Is that their car?’ ‘No, theirs is green.’ (= their car)
- his with or without a noun:
- It's a nice camera. Is it his?
- We say: a friend of mine/a friend of his/some friends of yours etc.:
- Are those people friends of yours? (not ‘friends of you’)
- Whose …?
You can use whose with or without a noun:
|Whose money is this?
Whose is this?
|Whose shoes are these?
Whose are these?