Unit 64. the
the … = it is clear which thing or person we mean (see Unit 63)
- Rome is the capital of Italy. (there is only one capital)
- What is the name of this village? (the village has only one name)
- Excuse me, where is the nearest bank?
- Who is the President of the United States?
- Can you tell me the time, please? (= the time now)
- My office is on the first floor. (= the first floor of the building)
Don't forget the:
- Do you live near the city centre? (not «near city centre»)
- Which is the best restaurant in this town? (not «Which is best»)
the top of… / the end of… etc.
- Write your name at the top of the page.
- The beginning of the film was not very good.
- My house is at the end of this street.
- The table is in the middle of the room.
- Do you drive on the left or on the right in your country?
- We live in the same street. (not «in same street»)
- These books are not different. They are the same. (not «They are same.»)
Note that we say: