Unit 15. Past Perfect (I have done)
Study this example situation:
(прошедшее совершенное время)
|Sarah went to a party last week. Paul went to the party too but they didn't see each other.
Paul went home at 10.30 and Sarah arrived at 11 o'clock. So:
When Sarah arrived at the party, Paul wasn't there. He had gone home.
Had gone is the Past Perfect (Simple):
The Past Perfect Simple is had + past participle (gone/ seen/ finished etc.). For a list of irregular verbs, see Appendix 1. Regular and irregular verbs (правильные и неправильные глаголы)
Sometimes we talk about something that happened in the past:
- Sarah arrived at the party.
- When Sarah arrived at the party, Paul had already gone home.
- When we got home last night, we found that somebody had broken into the flat.
- Karen didn't want to come to the cinema with us because she had already seen the film.
- At first I thought I'd done the right thing, but I soon realised that I'd made a serious mistake.
- The man sitting next to me on the plane was very nervous. He hadn't flown before. / He had never flown before.
Compare the Past Perfect (I had done) and Past Simple (I did):
- "Was Tom at the party when you arrived?" "No, he had already gone home."
but "Was Tom there when you arrived?" "Yes, but he went home soon afterwards."
- Ann wasn't at home when I phoned. She was in London.
but Ann had just got home when I phoned. She had been in London.
(прошедшее совершенное продолженное время). хостинг от Зенон Н.С.П. © Langust Agency 1999-2017, ссылка на сайт обязательна