Unit 16. Past Perfect Continuous (I had been doing)
Study this example situation:
(прошедшее совершенное продолженное время)
|Yesterday morning I got up and looked out of the window. The sun was shining but the ground was very wet.
It had been raining.
It was not raining when I looked out of the window; the sun was shining. But it had been raining before. That's why the ground was wet.
Had been -ing is the Past Perfect Continuous:
Some more examples:
- When the boys came into the house, their clothes were dirty, their hair was untidy and one of them had a black eye. They'd been fighting.
- I was very tired when I arrived home. I'd been working hard all day.
- Our game of tennis was interrupted. We'd been playing for about half an hour when it started to rain very heavily.
- Ken gave up smoking two years ago. He'd been smoking for 30 years.
Compare had been doing and was doing (Past Continuous):
- It wasn't raining when we went out. The sun was shining. But it had been raining, so the ground was wet.
- Ann was sitting in an armchair watching television. She was tired because she'd been working very hard.
- We were good friends. We had known each other for years. (not had been knowing)
(настоящее продолженное и простое настоящее времена 2).
See Unit 9. Present Perfect Continuous (I have been doing)
(настоящее совершенное продолженное время).
See Unit 15. Past Perfect (I have done)
(прошедшее совершенное время).