Unit 25. When I do / When I've done When and if
Study this example situation:
(использование оборотов when I do, when I've done, when, if)
|A: What time will you phone me tomorrow?
B: I'll phone you when I get home from work.
"I'll phone you when I get home from work" is a sentence with two parts:
We do not use will in the when-part of the sentence:
The same thing happens after: while before after as soon as until or till
- I'm going to read a lot of books while I'm on holiday. (not while I will be)
- I'm going back home on Sunday. Before I go, I'd like to visit the museum.
- Wait here until (or till) I come back.
- Can I borrow that book when you've finished it?
- Don't say anything while lan is here. Wait until he has gone.
|I'll come as soon as I've finished.
You'll feel better after you've had something to eat.
- When I've phoned Kate, we can have dinner.
(= First I'll phone Kate and after that we can have dinner.)
- When I phone Kate this evening, I'll invite her to the party.
(not when I've phoned)
(In this example, the two things happen together.)
- It's raining hard. We'll get wet if we go out. (not if we will go)
- Hurry up! If we don't hurry, we'll be late.
We use when for things which are sure to happen:
- I'm going shopping this afternoon. (for sure) When I go shopping, I'll buy some food.
- I might go shopping this afternoon. (it's possible) If I go shopping, I'll buy some food.
- If it is raining this evening, I won't go out. (not when it is raining)
- Don't worry if I'm late tonight. (not when I'm late)
- If they don't come soon, I'm not going to wait. (not when they don't come)
(использование оборотов If I do … и If I did …).
See Unit 38. If I knew … I wish I knew …
(использование оборотов If I knew … и I wish I knew …).
See Unit 39. If I had known … I wish I had known …
(использование оборотов If I had known … и I wish I had known …).
See Unit 111. Even
See Unit 114. As if
(использование оборота As if). хостинг от Зенон Н.С.П. © Langust Agency 1999-2017, ссылка на сайт обязательна