Unit 30. May and might (2)
We use may and might to talk about possible actions or happenings in the future:
(использование оборотов may и might 2)
- I haven't decided yet where to spend my holidays. I may go to Ireland. (= perhaps I will go to Ireland)
- Take an umbrella with you when you go out. It might rain later. (= perhaps it will rain)
- The bus doesn't always come on time. We might have to wait a few minutes. (= perhaps we will have to wait)
- Ann may not come to the party tonight. She isn't well. (= perhaps she will not come)
- There might not be a meeting on Friday because the director is ill. (= perhaps there will not be a meeting)
- I may go to Ireland, or I might go to Ireland.
- Jane might be able to help you. or Jane may be able to help you.
- If I knew them better, I might invite them to dinner.
(The situation here is not real because I don't know them very well, so I'm not going to invite them. 'May' is not possible in this example.)
- Don't phone at 8.30. I'll be watching the football on television.
- Don't phone at 8.30. I might be watching (or I may be watching) the football on television. (= perhaps I'll be watching it)
(использование will be doing и will have done).
We also use may/might be -ing for possible plans. Compare:
- I'm going to Ireland in July, (for sure)
- I may be going (or I might be going) to Ireland in July. (possible)
Might as well / may as well
Study this example:
- A: What time are you going?
B: Well, I'm ready, so I might as well go now. (or …I may as well go now)
- The buses are so expensive these days, you might as well get a taxi. (= taxis are just as good, no more expensive)
(использование оборотов may и might 1).
See Unit 36. May I … ?
(использование оборотов Can/ Could/ Would you …?).
See Unit 37. If I do … and If I did …
(использование оборотов If I do … и If I did …).
See Unit 39. If I had known … I wish I had known …
(использование оборотов If I had known … и I wish I had known …). хостинг от Зенон Н.С.П. © Langust Agency 1999-today, ссылка на сайт обязательна