Агентство Лангуст [переход на главную]

100 Questions Answered: Practical Advice and Useful Addresses (Q95-Q100)

Q95. How can I claim back VAT?

VAT logo

покупайте товары как житель Великобритании с доставкой из любых online магазинов с 0% комиссии и с возвратом VAT (НДС)

Tourists who purchase goods at shops participating in the Retail Export Scheme may apply for a refund if they intend to leave Britain for a final destination outside the European Union within three months of the date of purchase. Visitors should ascertain before making their purchase whether or not a refund will be available.

An information leaflet about claiming back VAT for overseas visitors may be obtained from:

The Southbank VAT Centre, HM Customs and Excise
Dorset House, Stamford Street, London SE1 9PY
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 202 4087

Q96. Where can I find out about the BBC World Service?

BBC World Service logo

To find out the frequencies for the BBC World Service write to:

BBC World Service
PO Box 76, Bush House, Strand, London WC2B 4PH
BBC World Service website
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 240 3456 Fax: +44 (0) 171 379 6841

In addition, the BBC Worldwide Magazine, available by subscription (contact address above), publishes a complete listing and regular updates of frequencies.

Q97. What are the regulations for repatriating deceased people to Britain?

All deaths must be registered in the country where death occurs. The local police or the British Consul can give advice on how to do this. The death may also be registered at the British Consulate, and by doing so a British death certificate may be obtained. In certain countries British Consulates cannot issue death certificates. These are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

British Consuls can also provide a list of local funeral directors and advise on the transport of the deceased back to Britain.

Q98. Where can I find out about postage rates?

Any Post Office in Britain can advise on postage rates within Britain or overseas. There are two postage rates in Britain - first class and second class. First class postage should be used for letters requiring delivery on the next working day. Second class should be used for items that are not urgent - most second class letters are delivered within three working days.

For further information or details of charges visit the British Post office website.

Q99. Where can I find out about philatelic clubs and obtain British stamps?

British postage stamp

The British Philatelic Bureau can supply a wide range of British postage stamps and other philatelic items by mail order. The Bureau’s monthly Philatelic Bulletin gives details of all new stamp issues, First Day Cover services, postmarks and other information about postage stamps and philately. For a free information pack contact:

The British Philatelic Bureau
20 Brandon Street, Edinburgh, EH3 5TT
Tel.: +44 (0) 131 550 8989

Q100. Where can I find the address of …?

The British Council

The British Council has offices two office in Canada:

The British Council
80 Elgin Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5K7
Tel.: 1 613 237 1530 Fax: 1 613 569 1478
email: ottawa.enquiries@ca.britishcouncil.org
The British Council
Suite 4200, 1000 De La Gauchetiere West
Montreal, QC H3B 4W5
Tel.: 1 514 866 5863 (extensions 222 and 223)
Fax: 1 514 866 5322
email: montreal.enquiries@ca.britishcouncil.org

The British Tourist Authority

The British Tourist Authority (BTA) has one office in Canada:

British Tourist Authority
5915 Airport Rd Unit 120
Mississauga, ON L4V 1T1
Tel.: 1 905 405 1840 or 1 888 847 4885
Fax: 1 905 405 1835

Buckingham Palace

The address is:

Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA

Charities and voluntary organisations

Charities and voluntary organisations are listed in the Charities Digest, published annually by:

Waterlow Information Services Limited
Paulton House, 8 Shepherdess Walk, London N1 7LB
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 490 0049 Fax: +44 (0) 171 253 1308


The Charity Commissioners
St Alban’s House, 57-60 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4QX
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 210 4477 Fax: +44 (0) 171 210 4559

maintains a central register of charities.

For details of voluntary organisations consult The Voluntary Agencies Directory, published by:

National Council for Voluntary Organisations
Regent’s Wharf, 8 All Saints Street, London N1 9RL
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 713 6161 Fax: +44 (0) 171 713 6300

Embassies and High Commissions

Embassies in London are listed in the Central London area telephone directory, also in parliamentary guides such as the PMS Parliamentary Companion.

Government departments

These are listed in the telephone directory (Central London area) and in parliamentary guides such as the PMS Parliamentary Companion, or access all Government departments on the Government’s website.

Members of Parliament

MPs can be contacted by post at:

House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA

Full details of MPs and their constituencies can be obtained from:

The Public Information Office
House of Commons Library, 1 Derby Gate, London SW1A 2DG
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 219 4272

National newspapers

National newspapers are listed in the Willings Press Guide published by:

Reed Information Services
Windsor Court, East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 1XA
Tel.: +44 (0) 34 232 6972

Political parties

These are listed in parliamentary guides, or contact head offices.

Conservative and Unionist Party:
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 222 9000 Fax: +44 (0) 171 222 1135
Labour Party:
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 701 1234 Fax: +44 (0) 171 234 3300
Liberal Democrats:
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 222 7999 Fax: +44 (0) 171 799 2170


Popular museums are listed in Museums and Galleries in Great Britain and Ireland, published by:

Reed Information Services
Tel.: +44 (0) 34 232 6972

or contact

the British Tourist Authority Telephone Information Line on
Tel.: +44 (0) 181 846 9000

Television companies

TV companies are listed in the Blue Book of British Broadcasting, published by:

Tellex Monitors Ltd, Communications House, 210 Old Street, London EC1V 9UN
Tel.: +44 (0) 171 490 1447 Fax: +44 (0) 171 490 8595

This guide gives exhaustive details of all television and radio companies in Britain:

The British Film Institute Film and TV Handbook,
published by BFI, 21 Stephen Street, London W1P 2LN
also lists television companies.


UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, is the central agency which acts on behalf of all British universities and most colleges of higher education. The UCAS Handbook lists the names and addresses of all British universities, together with details of their degree courses.

UCAS Handbook, Universities and Colleges Admissions Service,
Fulton House, Jessop Avenue, Cheltenham, Gloucs GL50 3SH
Tel.: +44 (0) 124 222 2444 Fax: +44 (0) 124 222 1622

Alternatively, your nearest British Council Office should be able to provide details of British universities and their addresses.

← back Конец
хостинг для сайтов © Langust Agency 1999-2024, ссылка на сайт обязательна