Unit 41. Questions (1) Is it …? Have you …? Do they …? etc.
(вопросительные предложения со вспомогательными глаголами be, have, do)
|positive||you||X||are||You are eating.|
|question||are||you||Are you eating?||What are you eating?|
- In questions, the first verb (is/are/have etc.) is before the subject:
- Be careful with word order: the subject is after the first verb:
- Why are those people waiting? (not ‘Why are waiting those people?’)
- Present Simple questions: (See Unit 7. Do you …? (Present Simple questions)
(вопросительные предложения в простом настоящем времени)
|+ infinitive (work/live/go etc.)|
Past Simple questions: (See Unit 10. I didn’t … Did you …? (Past Simple negative and questions)
(отрицательные и вопросительные предложения в простом прошедшем времени)):
did (you/they/she etc.) + infinitive
Do can also be the main verb (do you do / did she do etc.):
- What do you usually do at weekends?
- ‘What does your sister do?’ ‘She works in a bank.’
- ‘I broke my leg.’ ‘How did you do that?’ (not ‘How did you that?’)
- Negative questions with Why … ? (Why isn't …? / Why don't … ? etc.): Be careful with word order in these questions:
- Why can't Paula come to the meeting? (not ‘Why Paula can't …’)
- Why didn't you phone me last night?
See Unit 42 Questions (2) Who saw you …? Who did you see? and Unit 43 Who is she talking to? What is it like? хостинг и сайты © Langust Agency 1999-2019, ссылка на сайт обязательна