Unit 16. Past Perfect Continuous (I had been doing)
Study this example situation:
(прошедшее совершенное продолженное время)
|Yesterday morning I got up and looked out of the window. The sun was shining but the ground was very wet.
It had been raining.
It was not raining when I looked out of the window; the sun was shining. But it had been raining before. That's why the ground was wet.
Had been -ing is the Past Perfect Continuous:
Some more examples:
- When the boys came into the house, their clothes were dirty, their hair was untidy and one of them had a black eye. They'd been fighting.
- I was very tired when I arrived home. I'd been working hard all day.
- Our game of tennis was interrupted. We'd been playing for about half an hour when it started to rain very heavily.
- Ken gave up smoking two years ago. He'd been smoking for 30 years.
Compare had been doing and was doing (Past Continuous):
- It wasn't raining when we went out. The sun was shining. But it had been raining, so the ground was wet.
- Ann was sitting in an armchair watching television. She was tired because she'd been working very hard.
- We were good friends. We had known each other for years. (not had been knowing)
(настоящее продолженное и простое настоящее времена 2).
See Unit 9. Present Perfect Continuous (I have been doing)
(настоящее совершенное продолженное время).
See Unit 15. Past Perfect (I have done)
(прошедшее совершенное время). хостинг для сайтов © Langust Agency 1999-2021, ссылка на сайт обязательна